Starting a web business?
Are you interested in starting a web business? If so, you need a website or other kind of home page. It's where you'll drive traffic (customers) to and do business from. Consider it your “storefront or business office” that customers come into. Without an actual internet location of your own, you'll never be able to make money online. No money = no business.
Lots of people sell from websites that are set up thru another company. These are mostly for selling “hard goods” or actual products, like eBay or etsy. For a fee you're able to sell at their site. Those are good places to learn internet and other business skills.
Click here to learn about starting an eBay business.
Click here for a list of eBay alternatives.
Lots of people build a successful internet business on sites like these. But I'm not satisfied with using only these sites. Why? Because-
- You don't own your traffic.
- You have to share your profits.
- You have to obey the website's rules.
To have control over your own business and to keep the money you make you really need to be independent. But how?
Starting a web business is starting to sound like a whole lot of hard work. You just want to make some money, not learn how to build websites. What to do?
Unless you've fallen for a get-rich-quick scheme, it is hard work and it isn't quick. But it's worth the effort you make. I can save you some time because I've already spent time LOOKING for solutions. So if you're not an internet expert or computer geek (I'm not one either) don't worry. If you want your own online business with your own website, you have a few choices.
- Build your own website from scratch. Really, most people that are just thinking about starting a web business really aren't up to the challenge of learning how to build it themselves. I sure wasn't!
- Talk somebody with the right skills into building a website for you. Oh yeah, they're probably busy. Once you've decided to build your internet business you don't want to wait for months to get it going. This solution works but not very well.
- Pay a professional to build one for you. There's lots of web designers that build beautiful websites. It's a good solution for some business builders. Just let me ask you one question... do you have lots of spare money? Because it's expensive to hire someone to build a website for you. And if you're inexperienced, you won't really know what you need or want yet.
- Buy one of those 'one size fits all' websites that come packaged with domain name registrations. I did this for my sister-in-law. I built her site, but we weren't really excited about the results. Like I said, if you're inexperienced you won't know what to build and what you need. This isn't a very good choice for starting a web business for most newbies.
- Start a blog (web-log) for yourself. That's a good idea for starting a web business. You can do it without having a lot of computer skills. It's almost as good as a website but it has it's problems. You're still on somebody else's site with their set of rules. It's possible to get kicked off! If you do, there goes all your work. Not good. Unless you want one of the freebie blogs, (very easy but most don't allow you to make money on them) you'll need to get your domain name, a web host, and then learn how to build the blog. (I'm doing this one too and will write about it later!)
Then, after you complete those steps, you'll still have to figure out how to get found online. You'll need traffic to your blog. There's tons of different opinions about SEO (search engine optimization), keywords and such. Before I began my website, I didn't know what those things even meant. With your own blog, you'll have to learn about them and figure out what works by trial and error. So I like your next choice better...
- Find a company that will teach you exactly what you need to build your own website exactly the way you want it. A company that does the technical stuff for you. One that shows you what's necessary for starting a web business and teaches you how to do it. Guess which one I'm going to suggest to you? Door #6!
By building it yourself you get exactly what you need, and end up with a website you can be proud of! I'm SO HAPPY that I found Solo Build It to lead me thru building a website of my own.
None of this is rocket science! If I can do it, you can too. You don't need to work online full time to start a web business. I've shown you your 6 main choices. Pick one and get busy starting your own web business!
Click here to take a look at site build it for yourself.
Return to Build Successful Website from Starting A Web Business
Return to Hungry-Entrepreneur home page from Starting A Web Business